Pages Navigation Bar

Monday, January 17, 2011

Felt Roses

Tutorial for making felt roses
Flowers and felt—two of my favorite things.  I have been looking at lots of tutorials for making felt flowers, and trying lots of techniques, but I never really loved the way my flowers came out.  Often the flowers seemed really closed, or just didn’t really look like a rose to me (rose is the shape I was trying to replicate).  I stopped to think about how I wanted to create my rose so it looked just how I wanted it to look.  Here is what I came up with.
Supplies
  • Felt
  • Scissors
  • Low-melt glue gun
  • glue sticks
Directions
  1. Plug in your glue gun.
  2. Cut the felt into graduated circles.  I cut one 3 inch circle, one 3.5 inch circle, and one 4 inch circle (measurements do not have to be exact).
  3. Tutorial for making felt roses
  4. Cut from the edge to almost the center of one circle.  Move about 1/3 around the edge and repeat.  Make one more cut between the first two.  you should now have roughly 3 even petals attached to a very small center (these do NOT have to be exact).  Repeat for all three circles.
  5. Tutorial for making felt roses
  6. Use your scissors to round the sharp corners.
  7. Tutorial for making felt roses
  8. Begin with the smallest circle.  Spread glue on the bottom half of one petal.  Roll it into the center of your rose.
  9. Tutorial for making felt rosesTutorial for making felt roses
  10. Put a line of glue on the bottom edges of another petal.  Glue the petal around the center covering the edges with the new petal.
  11. Tutorial for making felt roses
    I forgot to take a picture before the 2nd petal, so this is the third.
    Tutorial for making felt roses
  12. Put a line of glue on the bottom edges of your last petal.  Overlap the edges of the last petal you glued on, and glue in place.
  13. Tutorial for making felt roses
  14. Glue the next circle around the first by gluing the bottom edge of each petal to your rose.
  15. Tutorial for making felt roses
  16. Repeat with your last circle.
  17. Tutorial for making felt roses
  18. Look at how pretty your rose is.  Take a picture.  Make more!
Tutorial for making felt roses

For the small red roses, I used only two circles, one 2 inch circle, and one 2.5 inch circle.

28 comments:

  1. I haven't seen them made this way. They're lovely! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty!! I think I know what I'll be doing during my snow day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I love how perfect they look. :) I'd love for you to link this up to my linky party, Tute {Yourself} Tuesday!
    LittleEme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very fun!! I love it, and I am going to have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the tutorial. I've been wanting to make felt roses like this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute! I've never tried it this way before! They look very real, I'd looooove to see these on a headband!
    Amie @ http://kittycatsandairplanes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so pretty~ and cozy for a wintery V-Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are beautiful!! Can't wait to try it this way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty...I've just gotten into making rosettes and such with fabric...I'll add this to my to do list=) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! I found you through Somewhat Simple. I love these roses! I've seen a lot of felt flower tutorials, but these are absolutely the prettiest. I'm your newest follower!

    Kell

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for all your wonderful comments. I love making something people appreciate!

    Thanks to everyone who follows (I am trying to reach 150 by July).

    Malory

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are darling, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are very sweet. I hadn't seen them made this way. I'm working on a Valentine's wreath with a bunch of felt flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. SO lovely. I seriously need to break the glue gun out & make some.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look so pretty! I want to make some for my girls headbands now. Found you through Tatertods and Jello!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been looking for additional ways to make felt flowers. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, those are the prettiest felt roses I've seen yet!

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look great! I just became a follower. Thanks for sharing can't wait to give this a try! Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  19. these are adorable! would love to have you link them up at my hair crap party

    http://kimboscrafts.blogspot.com/2011/01/hair-crap-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. SO cute, I just made one! I think I'm going to make it a hair clip. Great tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This technique is different that what I've seen. I like how they turn out much more like this! Thanks so much for sharing!
    ~Mary
    www.thecraftygals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this!! I featured it on my blog, thanks for the inspiration!

    Lois

    www.auntielolocrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have seen these made just by rolling the felt, but I love the way that you made them! Thanks for linking up to Fantastic Friday, I cannot wait to see what you have for this week!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this flower! Gorgeous!!!

    www.livingcraftilyeverafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love these flowers. Great instructions. and detail. I can't wait to make some.

    www.blissfulmeandering.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love these - so simple but really beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Perfectly clear tutorial, thank you for that. I'm about to dive in so wish me luck!By!
    Ângela Santos
    Brazil

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment--I love to hear what you think! I try to respond to any questions within one day.