Pages Navigation Bar

Monday, July 9, 2012

What is a fat quarter?

A fat quarter is basically what it sounds like: a fat quarter yard of fabric.  Instead of buying the typical 9 inch-wide by 44 inch-long swatch of fabric, you can buy a swatch of fabric that is 18 inches wide by 22 inches long.  This enables you to make more projects without having to buy half a yard of fabric.  Many fabric stores sell pre-cut fat quarters in a variety of colors and patterns.  One of my favorite things to do is find some fabrics that I love, buy a couple fat quarters and make a project--or save them for a future project.

Most pre-cut fat quarters are basic cotton fabric used in quilts, but can be used for much more.  I used the fat quarters pictured above in the first beginners' sewing project I will share this week.  Come back to see what I did with these fun fabrics!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment--I love to hear what you think! I try to respond to any questions within one day.