Pages Navigation Bar

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pineapple Upside-Down Cupcakes {Guest Post from Nikki at Chef in Training}

I know, two days in a row with pineapple, and more than just that, it is a double feature day to make-up for the lack of post on Monday!  So exciting, especially since we are heading out of summer and need to wring every last bit we can with tropical fruit.  The first time I had pineapple upside-down cake was working at the State Park Office when I was just a teenager.  It was love at first bite (sorry for the corny pun, but hey, I am an English teacher).  Nikki from Chef in Training is here today to share a variation on this delicious dessert.

I am so excited to be guest posting here on Snips and Spice!
I am Nikki, the chef behind
Chef In Training!
I am a stay at home mom who has found a love for filling extra time in the kitchen!
My blog is centered around recipes that I LOVE!


I have an incredible hubby, a beautiful little girl, and recently added a sweet handsome baby boy!


he gets a picture all to himself because we need to still get an updated family photo! haha!




I was thrilled when Malory asked me to share a fun cupcake recipe with you!  The cupcake recipe I am going to share with you today is AMAZING!  Seriously, my family could eat them all in one sitting!  Ever heard of Pineapple Upside-down Cake?!
Well, these are Pineapple Upside-down Cupcakes!
Perfect right?!  Personal cakes!



aren't they so cute?!



PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CUPCAKES
  • 6 Tbsp butter
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
TOPPING
  • 6 Tbsp butter
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 6 maraschino cherries
  • 1 (20 oz) can pineapple rings

1. Heat the oven to 350º. Place the butter and milk for the batter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Warm the mixture, stirring occasionally, until the butter melts, then transfer the mixture to a small bowl to cool.

2. Meanwhile, prepare the pine-apple topping. Into each cup of a 12-cup muffin pan, add 1/2 tablespoon of unmelted butter, then evenly sprinkle 1 tablespoon of brown sugar over the bottom. Place the pan in the oven until the butter melts, about 3 minutes.

3. Halve each maraschino cherry, then cut the pineapple rings into quarters. Place a cherry half, sliced side up, in the center of each cup and lay a pineapple quarter on each side. Press the fruit gently down into the butter-sugar mixture, then set the prepared pan aside.

4. Finish making the batter. In a medium-size bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt, and stir the ingredients with a fork until they're evenly blended. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir until the flour is fully incorporated. Add the milk-butter mixture and stir well to combine the ingredients into a smooth batter.

5. Pour the batter into the muffin pan, dividing it evenly among all the cups. Bake the cupcakes until they're lightly browned, dry around the edges, and pulling away from the pan a little, about 25 minutes.

6. Transfer the pan to a rack to cool for 5 minutes. Use a butter knife to carefully loosen each cupcake from the edges and bottom of the pan, then place a cookie sheet over the top. Invert the pan, turning the cupcakes out onto the cookie sheet, then transfer them back to the rack to cool completely. Serve the cupcakes at room temperature. 


Makes 12 cupcakes.

Enjoy! You will LOVE them!



Come by Chef In Training and say Hello!
I love making new friends!


Thanks Malory for letting me come visit!


-Nikki

Thanks Nikki!  Isn't her family too cute?  Nikki could be single-handedly responsible for my pants no longer fitting (not really), but seriously, she has some of the most delicious looking and sounding food on her blog.  The treat that first got me hooked (although I haven't yet tried it, because I am sure Adam will just have to roll me around if I get a taste) is her cookie dough brownies.  I think these fell like manna from heaven!


The next treat I drooled over was this delectable looking trifle she calls "died and gone to heaven".


You seriously have to go check out her recipes.  Nikki blogs about all different recipes, not just dessert, and so many of them look absolutely divine!

Come back this evening for another recipe (part two of our double-feature): Peach Cobbler Cupcakes from Michelle at Loving Every Second.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment--I love to hear what you think! I try to respond to any questions within one day.