- One fat quarter of fabric for top
- One fat quarter of fabric for bottom (you could use scraps)
- Strong magnets
- Hot glue gun and glue
- Batting & polyfil
- Embroidery hoop
- Base - I bought mine at Joann Fabrics for $1!
- Printed spiral (go to the site, then right click the spiral and select print)
- Sewing Machine & thread
- Fill the base of your pincushion with magnets (glue in place).
- Cut a strip of fabric to surround the base. I cut mine twice as long as the circumference of the base and 2.5 inches wider. Fold the top over about 1.5 inches. Set the tension on your sewing machine as high as it will go, and the longest stitch length. Sew a line over the fold 3/8 inch from the edge. Sew again 1 inch from the other edge.
- Glue fabric around the base at four evenly spaced points. Be sure to not glue over the thread. Pull the thread to gather the fabric tightly around the base, then glue in place in complete ring around top and bottom of the base. Cut a small circle of fabric and glue to bottom to cover all ends.
- Cut two pieces of your top fabric and one layer of batting about 8 inches by 8 inches.
- Lay one piece of the top fabric right side down, then a layer of batting, then another piece of top fabric right side up.
- Place your spiral on top of your fabric and batting, place all layers in embroidery hoop, then sew on the spiral line with a stitch length of 2 (normal tension).
- Remove from embroidery hoop. Increase the tension and stitch length again, then sew two circles around the spiral.
- Pull the thread ends to gather the spiral into a ball shape. Place inside the base, and glue 3/4 the way around.
- Stuff the pin cushion with as much polyfil as it will handle, then glue opening shut.
- Poke all you pins in, and admire your work!
LOVE it! :) Such a cute pin cushion idea!ReplyDelete
Oh my gosh, this is just way too cute! I'm definitely going to try to make one of my own.ReplyDelete
You're more than welcome to link up to the Sunburnt Cow link party going from Wed-Sun.
Tracy Screaming Sardine
this is seriously darling. i am totally going to try making this!!!ReplyDelete
thank you so much for sharing
This is adorable! My neice is CRAZY for cupcakes! I'm going to show her this! :) Thanks for linking up at Sassy Sites for our ffa party! Have a wonderful weekend! xoxo!!ReplyDelete
Very cute! I am definately going to be making this!!ReplyDelete
That's sooo cute!!! My last project was a pin cushion too ;)ReplyDelete
so stinkin' cute! ~April @ Wildflowers & WhimsyReplyDelete
This is so cute! Great job! Makes me want to take a bite :)ReplyDelete
Come see me at http://www.willcookforsmiles.com/
Oh that is just lovely!ReplyDelete
Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
This is so adorable! Love your blog. So many cute projects and yummy looking recipes.ReplyDelete
So so cute!! Thanks for auditioning for OMTWI!!ReplyDelete
Just had to swing by and comment again to let you know I'm having a month long Cupcake Link Party! You're more than welcome to link up this and any other cupcake related post. :)ReplyDelete
I LOVE this! I have to go make one right now!ReplyDelete