Pages Navigation Bar

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Cupcake Pin Cushion

Don't you just love cupcakes?  They are so cute, and the perfect size.  I've had this pin cushion in my head for weeks, and I finally made it last week.  I'm thrilled with how it came out.  Store your pins in the top, but don't worry--if you accidentally drop some pins, there are strong magnets on the bottom to help you pick them up!

Supplies
  • One fat quarter of fabric for top
  • One fat quarter of fabric for bottom (you could use scraps)
  • Strong magnets
  • Hot glue gun and glue
  • Batting & polyfil
  • Embroidery hoop
  • Base - I bought mine at Joann Fabrics for $1!
  • Printed spiral (go to the site, then right click the spiral and select print)
  • Scissors
  • Sewing Machine & thread
Directions
  1. Fill the base of your pincushion with magnets (glue in place).
  2. Cut a strip of fabric to surround the base. I cut mine twice as long as the circumference of the base and 2.5 inches wider.  Fold the top over about 1.5 inches.  Set the tension on your sewing machine as high as it will go, and the longest stitch length.  Sew a line over the fold 3/8 inch from the edge.  Sew again 1 inch from the other edge.
  3. Glue fabric around the base at four evenly spaced points.  Be sure to not glue over the thread.  Pull the thread to gather the fabric tightly around the base, then glue in place in complete ring around top and bottom of the base.  Cut a small circle of fabric and glue to bottom to cover all ends.
  4. Cut two pieces of your top fabric and one layer of batting about 8 inches by 8 inches. 
  5. Lay one piece of the top fabric right side down, then a layer of batting, then another piece of top fabric right side up.
  6. Place your spiral on top of your fabric and batting, place all layers in embroidery hoop, then sew on the spiral line with a stitch length of 2 (normal tension).
  7. Remove from embroidery hoop.  Increase the tension and stitch length again, then sew two circles around the spiral.
  8. Pull the thread ends to gather the spiral into a ball shape.  Place inside the base, and glue 3/4 the way around.
  9. Stuff the pin cushion with as much polyfil as it will handle, then glue opening shut.
  10. Poke all you pins in, and admire your work!

13 comments:

  1. LOVE it! :) Such a cute pin cushion idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, this is just way too cute! I'm definitely going to try to make one of my own.

    You're more than welcome to link up to the Sunburnt Cow link party going from Wed-Sun.

    Cheers,
    Tracy Screaming Sardine

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is seriously darling. i am totally going to try making this!!!
    thank you so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable! My neice is CRAZY for cupcakes! I'm going to show her this! :) Thanks for linking up at Sassy Sites for our ffa party! Have a wonderful weekend! xoxo!!

    -Marni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! I am definately going to be making this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's sooo cute!!! My last project was a pin cushion too ;)

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute! Great job! Makes me want to take a bite :)
    Come see me at http://www.willcookforsmiles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that is just lovely!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so adorable! Love your blog. So many cute projects and yummy looking recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So so cute!! Thanks for auditioning for OMTWI!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just had to swing by and comment again to let you know I'm having a month long Cupcake Link Party! You're more than welcome to link up this and any other cupcake related post. :)

    Cheers,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE this! I have to go make one right now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment--I love to hear what you think! I try to respond to any questions within one day.