Pages Navigation Bar

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Cupcake Matching Game {Guest Post from Amy at Naptime Crafters}

Are you in the cupcake mood yet?  Today we have the pleasure of hearing from Amy from Nap Time Crafters.  She created this cute cupcake matching game for young children; it is a great quiet game for them to play.


Hi I'm Amy from Nap Time Crafters!



I LOVE every kind of craft, but if I had to pick a fav it would definitely be sewing for my little girl. I also love decorating my apartment with very budget friendly projects. Nap Time Crafters is home to 90 free Tutorials {and growing!}, the American Crafter Competition, Friday Favs Party, & a Giveaway every Saturday!



When I was little my mom made us a matching game with pom-poms and a muffin tin. I decided to go from there and made some yummy little cupcakes. Don't you want to gobble them up?






Here's what you need:
  • Muffin Tin- I got mine at the dollar store
  • Fabric- 6 different frosting colors and 1 cake
  • Paint- to match your fabric
  • Paintbrush- ignore that foam brush in the pic. I found a regular one works best
  • Stuffing- sorry forgot to get that in the picture:)
  • Pattern- print that out here (*I used 1/4" seam allowances)

1. Cut out your pieces. You can save a lot of time by stacking the fabric and cutting out multiple pieces at a time

2. Gather the cupcake top by putting in a row of basting stitches all the way around and then cinching up the ends
3. Sew the bottom of your cupcake to the side piece (*this is the trickiest part, so stick with me). You need to match up the rounded portion of the bottom piece with the small curve of the side. I found it was easiest to not use pins and just adjust as I sewed along (when the needle is down you can lift the presser foot and then wiggle your fabric back into place). Overlap the 2 bottom pieces slightly.


When you're done- it should look like this:
4. Now line up the sides with the fabric right sides together and stitch it shut. This is what you should have now:
5. Now we're going to frost our cupcakes:) Slide the frosting into your completed cupcake, so the right sides are together. Pin in place and stitch together.


6. Turn it right side out and then stuff your cupcake. When it's nice and fluffy hand sew the opening shut.


Yuuummm- doesn't it look good:)

7. Paint your muffin tin to match your cupcakes. This will take a few coats and a bit of patience. If you want you could save a bit of time and just paint the bottom- trust me that would be a lot easier and possibly only take 1 coat. ***Update! Try mod podging matching fabrics scraps to the bottom. Or cardstock.
 


Finished! The perfect set for your little one to bake with and learn a few colors.




OK... little miss doesn't quite know her colors yet, but she likes banging the pan around and flinging cupcakes across the room:)



Thanks Amy for sharing this fun game!  Amy has more kid friendly ideas on her blog; two I think are great are:


and these cute Halloween Finger Puppets (I love this idea).

Head over to Naptime Crafters and check out what Amy is up to this week.  She has lots of patterns and tutorials to browse through.

1 comment:

  1. Now THAT is a CUTE idea!!! Love that it's learning but pretend fun too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment--I love to hear what you think! I try to respond to any questions within one day.