Pages Navigation Bar

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Jessie's Fabric Flowers Head Band

My sister does not share my love of crafts.  Throughout our lives, when we've said, "let's craft," what we really meant was "why don't I [Malory] craft, while you [Brooke] keep me company."  When Brooke came home on Thanksgiving and showed me the headband she made, I knew this was a craft for everyone.  She shared with me that her boyfriend's sister, Jessie, taught her how to make these simple and cute headbands.  You can make them yourself, but it is much easier with a friend.  They are so easy to make, you will want to make a variety of colors and styles to complement your wardrobe, and give as gifts.

Materials/Supplies
  • 1 stretch headband (I like the ones with non-stick backing)
  • Felt (only enough for 3 small circles)
  • Fabric (3 colors, each needs one small circle and one strip about 22"x2")
  • Scissors
  • Iron & board
  • Low-melt glue gun
Directions
  1. Plug in the glue gun to begin heating
  2. Cut your fabric into three strips that are about 22"x2" (they do not have to be exact)
  3. Cut a circle out of each color of fabric--the circle should be about 1.75" in diameter
  4. Cut 3 circles of felt about 1.5" in diameter
  5. Using the iron, fold each strip of fabric into thirds "hot dog" style--right side out
  6. Begin twisting the end of one fabric strip
  7. At this point, you will want to grab your friend if you brought one (one person can coil, and one person can glue)
  8. Coil the end of fabric and glue down to the center of one fabric circle--right side down
  9. Continue to twist and coil--glue as you go
  10. If you coil all the way to the edge of the fabric circle and you still have more strip left, make sure the fabric circle is covered, then cut the rest of the strip and glue end down
  11. If you coil all of the strip, and you have not covered the entire fabric circle, trim the circle smaller
  12. Repeat with each color of fabric
  13. You should now have 3 complete fabric flowers
  14. Put a strip of glue on the back of one flower (center the strip, and make it only as wide as the felt circles)
  15. Glue the headband to the flower (make sure you put the outside of the headband into the glue)
  16. Smear glue all over one of the felt circles
  17. Glue the circle to the back of the flower sandwiching the headband between the felt and flower
  18. Repeat for each flower placing the flowers close together (the felt backs should touch one another, and the flowers should overlap slightly--when you wear the headband, it will stretch and flatten)
  19. Make more!

9 comments:

  1. I love these and I appreciate the tutorial - it explains it well.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute and simple! Love them!

    Come and link this up over at

    www.tootsiewootsieboutique.blogspot.com

    and i am having a $15 dollar giveaway that you will love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love these! i made some similar ones this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a headband similar to this a few month back--they are so fun! And you are right, having a friend there to help twirl while you glue would have been a lifesaver! Would you consider linking this project to the Tell Me Tuesday link party on Vintage Pollyanna? http://vintagepollyanna.blogspot.com/2011/01/tell-me-tuesday-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I have headbands like the one you made but they slip off my head. Do you know what to put under the headband, that sticky stuff, to keep it from slipping?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just bought mine with the grip stuff, but I would try using a hot glue gun. Place a line of glue on the inside of the headband and see if that helps. Let me know how it works!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi again,

    I did try using glue on the inside of 1/2 inch elastic for the felt rose headbands I made. I first tried to stretch the elastic and glue with it stretched, but that was a disaster! It became all bumpy when not completely stretched out. I peeled the glue off and started again. I found that gluing while completely unstretched, worked great. So far, the glue has not peeled off when stretched.

    I hope this helps!

    Malory

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Malory,

    Was checking out your site and came across this. Very cute headbands! I currently have an information product out on How to Make Ribbon & Fabric Flowers. It has an affiliate program that you might be interested in as well.

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment--I love to hear what you think! I try to respond to any questions within one day.