Pages Navigation Bar

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies

P1030237
My mom makes the best chocolate chip cookies.  I love toffee, and so do most of my co-workers, so I thought I would take her recipe and add toffee chips.  As I was mixing my dough, I realized I didn’t have enough white flour, but I did have some wheat flour, so I substituted in a cup of wheat flour, and it was delicious!  One of the wonderful things about this recipe is that substitutes are allowed and even encouraged.  I would love to hear your variations on this recipe.
Ingredients
  • 2 sticks butter (softened)
  • 3/4 Cup white sugar
  • 1 Cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 Tablespoons vanilla
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 Cups white flour
  • 1 Cup wheat flour
  • 1 bag Heath toffee bits for baking
  • 1/2 bag milk chocolate chips
Supplies
  • Mixer & Bowl
  • Medium cookie scoop
  • Spatula (for scraping)
  • Parchment paper
  • Cookie sheet(s)
  • Spatula (for lifting off sheet)
  • Cooling Racks
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar
  3. P1030219
  4. Scrape down bowl
  5. Add eggs and mix well
  6. While mixing, add vanilla
  7. P1030220
  8. Add flour, salt, and baking soda to mixture, and mix just until combined
  9. Add toffee bits and chocolate chips to dough, mix together
  10. P1030221
  11. Cut parchment paper to fit cookie sheet (no cleaning pans—my favorite!)
  12. Use cookie scoop to place 12 balls of dough on the sheet
  13. P1030224
  14. Bake for 13 minutes
  15. Allow to cool on racks
  16. P1030229
  17. Yum, Yum, Yum
Tips
  • Differences in altitude, and humidity require differing amounts of flour (dough should be stiff, not sticky, but moist)
  • You should be able to touch the dough without dough coming off on your finger, but your finger should feel slick
  • If the cookies come out too flat, add more flour to the dough
  • You can substitute butter flavored crisco for butter
  • You can use more wheat flour, or more white flour if you have a preference
  • Try different additions to satiate your cravings
  • Make a double-batch and freeze half of them for later: scoop the balls onto a cookie sheet, stick in freezer, place frozen dough balls in a zipper plastic bag.  When you are ready to use them, take them out of freezer and thaw on cookie sheet before baking like normal.
  • Have fun!
P1030235

2 comments:

  1. I have a recipe similar to this but it gets a cups of thin pretzel sticks mixed in besides the toffee and chocolate chips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi M!! I was browsing the internet and came across a site you might like.. http://pinterest.com/stueller/pins/
    the pictures of your delicious cookies make me drool.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment--I love to hear what you think! I try to respond to any questions within one day.