Pages Navigation Bar

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Knitting 201 {Double-Pointed Needles}

Why would you want to use double-pointed needles?

The only time I use double-pointed needles is when I am decreasing a hat and the project no longer fits well on circular needles--although, you can use them in place of circular needles for most projects. 

The first time I used them, I just bought them because the pattern I was using instructed me to switch from the circular needles to double-pointed needles.  I have to admit, when I first tried to use them, I had no idea what I was doing.  I tried to knit several stitches, then pass each one over to the next needle one at a time.  I kept moving the needles around and around, but it took me forever!  It was definitely one of my most ditsy crafting moments ever.  To save you from similar humiliation, here are some simple steps to using double-pointed needles.

Basically, what you are doing, is knitting one double-pointed needle into the project, and knitting another needle out.  When switching from circular to double-pointed needles, you begin by taking a double-pointed needle in your right hand (as in my previous knitting posts, I assume you are right-handed and knit like I do).  You knit stitches onto the double-pointed needle.  I usually split my project into thirds or fourths to determine the number of stitches that should occupy each needle. 

When the allotted number of stitches occupy the needle, let go of the needle in your right hand and pick up a new double-pointed needle in that hand.  Use the same process for the rest of your double-pointed needles.


I will be linking this up to these link parties.

7 comments:

  1. i love knitting with double pointed needles! They are so handy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely needed to see this tutorial. I can admit a fear of double pointed needles....to the point where I deliberately pick patterns for circular needles only. Thanks for bolstering my confidence!! I'd love it if you'd link this project up on my Marvelous Mess party!! I'll be picking one project to feature prominently on my sidebar for a week!! Here is the link to it:
    http://tinyurl.com/4k6f29c

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tutorial! I went ahead and looked at all of your knitting posts...awesome! I'd love it if you hopped over to my blog and took a look. On Fridays I have a link party called Fibers on Friday....we'd love to have you join!

    http://plumslife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it has been a long time since I knitted - thanks for the tutorial. And thanks for linking up to Fantastic Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do dpn need to be same size as circular needles?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment--I love to hear what you think! I try to respond to any questions within one day.