Pages Navigation Bar

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Grasshopper Cupcakes

Mint and chocolate is one of my favorite combinations.  Andes mints, junior mints, peppermint patties, thin mints, etc.  Is there anything more yummy and refreshing?  My favorite treat at Dairy Queen is a mint cookie dough blizzard (I know, I know, everyone always asks for clarification that it is mint and cookie dough, but trust me it is fabulous).  The grasshopper blizzard was the inspiration for this delectable treat.  A few weeks ago, Adam and I went to a barbecue and brought these.  They were the hit of the party!  Are you salivating yet?

Ingredients

Cupcakes
  • 1 box chocolate cake mix
  • 1 box instant chocolate pudding mix
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 Tablespoon peppermint extract
  • 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 36 mint oreos (I like the double stuff)
Frosting
  • 14 oreos
  • 2 cups shortening
  • 1 Tablespoon peppermint extract
  • 2 lbs powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • green food coloring (optional)
  • chocolate jimmies (optional)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Mix all ingredients for cupcakes together (except for the oreos).
  3. Place one oreo in the bottom of each cupcake liner, then scoop 2 tablespoons of batter on top of the cookie.
  4. Bake for 18-25 minutes (test with toothpick - if it comes out clean, they're done).
  5. While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting.  Begin by taking four whole oreos, and the filling from the other 10 oroes and mix together.
  6. Add the shortening and peppermint extract and mix.  If you want a darker green, add food coloring at this point.
  7. Slowly mix in powdered sugar to taste.  Use the milk to help keep the frosting creamy if it becomes dry from the powdered sugar.  When you are finished, it should be a creamy, but fairly stiff consistency.
  8. Frost cupcakes as desired.  I used a large piping bag with a large circle tip to frost the cupcakes.  I added the jimmies (sprinkles) as I frosted.
  9. I like to let the frosting set and get a little stiff on the outside before serving.  Now share with your friends and family, or keep them all to yourself (although it makes 36, so you might get a little full).

3 comments:

  1. These look very good! Nice presentation too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering! I love love mint and chocolate. I have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These seriously look SO GOOD!!! They are on my "to make" list :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment--I love to hear what you think! I try to respond to any questions within one day.